Skip to main content

Confession #14


“Sometimes, you read a book and it fills you with this weird evangelical zeal, and you become convinced that the shattered world will never be put back together unless and until all living humans read the book…(Then again) Books so special and rare and yours that advertising your affection feels like a betrayal.” The fault in our stars, John Green.
When I read Khaled Hosseini’s A Thousand Splendid Suns, I realized; John Green said the exact true words. I was convinced actually, telling everyone I know to read this incredible book that I just finished and I was literally detached from the universe, was utterly lost in the story that Khaled Hosseini created. I’ve never been so touched by anything regarding books or sad movies. I never really shed tears reading books. But this one made me cry. Tears rolled down my eyes. I cried for the characters of the book- Mariam and Laila whom are fictional, non-existents. I hadn’t even cried that much in my grandma’s funeral. But I cried to their grieve. Like I’m related to them or something. I felt like I’d lived through their good and bad days.    
Then I felt an urge to recommend that book to my sister. To my friend. I wanted them to feel what I felt reading this book last night. The tragedies that life can behold. I wanted them to feel it, with me. But then I was stunned by my own foolishness that they won’t actually feel the same like me. They wouldn’t even read it with patience or get to know the treasures hidden in it. They wouldn’t feel the things I felt, they wouldn’t cry on the parts I once cried my heart out. And that’s okay. No one would ever understand what the book made me feel. And advertising my affection for it, like John Green said, wouldn't actually make it more special and rare itself.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

spring is almost here

Hi B,  Season is changing. The hard days are almost over.  The city I live in has turned so beautiful, I get overwhelmed by the beauty.  Tulips are in. Cherry blossoms are blossoming.  Magnolia, Beautiful white flowers, name unknown to me.  Taking a walk out feels like a celebration of life.  It feels like I'm falling in love with the city.  I remember when I first moved here 2 years ago, the excitement and the crippling anxiety of starting a new life from scratch. Now, after 2 years, I feel a warmth and love for the place.  I don't know if I would feel the same when the winter comes though. Seasonal depression is no joke.  My new mantra for life now is to chill.  Praise the nature and find pretty little corners in the city.  Write poems.  Paint, maybe.  Seek positivity.  Love. Be kind to self. No rush. Read books. Just flow.
 Some thoughts. Our old generation glorified selfless acts to the point that they started calling putting themselves first as: 'selfish.'  To a certain period of time, I have also followed this pattern.  I thought taking care of me is selfish.  Where taking care of me is fundamental.  You cannot pour out of a cup, which is empty.  So pour yourself first.   I have to unlearn so many of these toxic patterns because these have made my life only miserable and problematic. I am learning that evolving is crucial for living with inner peace.  These days, I value so much about inner peace.  I'll choose it over others anytime, and it is not selfish. It is in fact for greater good.

long distance again

 I came back from my trip. It was amazing 2 weeks of my life. Seeing him again after so long felt strange yet peaceful. I finally got to be in his arms again. 2 weeks flew by and now I am back home and back to work and normal hustle and bustle of life.  He got an extension offer and decided to stay for another 3 months. It is sad because he was supposed to be back next month. He asked me if he should take it and despite having my heart aching I supported him in the decision. It is not confirmed yet but he probably be staying another 3. Another 5 months of long distance. How am I going to survive the winter by myself? I don't know. Honestly, in my heart, I don't care about how much compensation he be getting. I miss him so much and this long distance thing is killing me inside. Today is Friday night and instead of cuddles and movie, I am home alone. No plans to look forward. No one to talk to. I am the loneliest girl on earth right now. He is probably sleeping and not picking u...